Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Season of Harmattan

Harmattan is the season between the dry season and the first rainy season of the year, from about Mid- January to the end of February (it ended mid-February this year).  This was the craziest season I have ever experienced.  The winds are blowing South from the Sahara desert, so everything and everyone is covered in dust. All of the dust on the air blocks the sun, so the temperature is cooled down tremendously. One morning it was so cool I walked to school in a long sleeve t-shirt. I had to take it off by 9:30 AM because the temperature had gone up. During this time my skin became painfully dry and brittle and it felt like dust has took up permanent residence in my chest.  I had to drink tea everyday for a week in order to pass the dust that lived inside me.  This was sort of like West Africa's version of winter. Needless to say, I enjoyed the cool weather, but the dust was too much.

No comments: