Thursday, January 1, 2009

Malaria, Mayhem, and Civil Unrest: Part One

Where do I begin???? Okay, I will just start by saying I learned several lessons about life on this trip.

Lesson 1: If you are not feeling well when it is time to travel…DO NOT TRAVEL.

I was feeling a little fatigued when I started my six hour trip to Cape Coast, but I had knowledge I wanted to obtain (I was not going to be stopped) and OBTAIN KNOWLEDGE I DID. I felt really out of sorts the entire trip, which started at 8 AM, December 29th. We arrived at Cape Coast, Ghana at 4:30 PM. I had not eaten this entire time and was completely drained of energy. We found a Guest House (will discuss this further in lesson 2) for 12 Cedi a night and unloaded our bags. We went to the roof top restaurant for dinner and guess what???? I could not eat my food…NO APPETITE. I returned to my room to lie down and in about an hour my muscles began to ache severely…I had a fever. To make a long story short I had come down with a case of malaria…OMG!!!

No comments: